Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Post #8

This is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2 by: Richard Miller

I think he made a good point. Learning could be so much more than just writing something down. I liked the presentation of the post, although at the beginning I was distracted trying to read the words. I think his plan is big and bright, which I feel will inspire people to think outside the box. Also, it is more hands on, which many children/people would like.
To me, the school system is stuck in a rut. When I say that, I mean they are not allowing for much change. Teachers teach strictly from a guide, which limits their creativity as well as the students. I believe that if teachers could incorporate more technologies and know how to use it, than that would change a lot inside the classroom.
This comment is based off my experience in an elementary school now, and I feel that some do not think outside the box. I really enjoyed the video by Richard Miller, and I think smaller students would as well. I think they would be more interested in learning with technology, than with only the book as a tool. Also with technology, the lesson could be taken much further, which will only increase learning and their desire to learn. Technology is the key to many things, and I think learning is one of them.

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies
movie tape
The Chipper Series video was different. I understand the message that school is important, as well as time and structure. The crazy thing about this video to me is that people really think that way. Some people think there should not be any rules and/or deadlines, but where would this world be without it. CHAOTIC! 
EDM310 for Dummies was very interesting. I can relate to that video, because I feel like that sometimes. It is so much work and very stressful. Sometimes when I am doing the work, I find myself asking the question why. What is the point of this assignment?  But, once I am finished, I know the answer. Like when I am watching the extremely long videos, I hate it while I am doing it but when I done, I think about all the important and interesting things I have just learned or heard about. Although I think I am doing a good job in the class so far, I think this course should be taken alone. 
As far as video making, I am a very shy person. So if I had to be a part of a production, I would want to be behind the camera. One of the things that interest me most is math, so I would like to make a video about it. My video would consist of children inside the classroom enjoying their math lesson. Also, they would play games on the smartboard, as well as other hands on games. My passion is math and children, so I know that is what I would want my video to show.
Smartboards
smartboard
Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative by: Michael Staton and Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards by: Bill Ferriter is interesting posts, with valid points. I feel like they are great tools in the classrooms. I use them to interact with the children, and they love it. The one thing that I like to do with the kids is play games. I understand the points that are made by Mr. Staton and Mr. Ferriter, but I think smartboards are a step up in the technology department.
I found this web site that talk about the good of smartboards. One of the things it says is how the children like it. That is a plus to me, because learning is about the children and getting them interested. I think the smartboard does that. Mr. Staton and Mr. Ferriter recognize that, but they feel the money could be used for something better. I am not saying they are not right, but I think the smartboards are useful.

2 comments:

  1. Aren't there other ways to interest kids besides smart boards? What if every kid had their own iPad?

    Interesting post. I am glad that you see the point of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    I liked you post. Especially the one about the Chipper video and EDM310 for Dummies. I had the same ideas about them, however if everyone followed the rules and structure all the time many new ideas and concepts would never be found. I'm not encouraging chaos but breaking rules every now and then is part of life.
    I like you prefer to be behind the camera than in front of it but I like the idea of a math class room video- I would like to do one of a history class with students playing the part of different historical figures.

    ReplyDelete