Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Post #6

education
The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler
To me, it sounds like what we are doing in this class right now. We mainly do all of our work online and the teacher helps us along. So, are we considered network students? I like this kind of learning. It is more hands on and independent. I think independent guided studying, calls for analyzing things more instead of memorizing.
I liked the idea of having a teacher stand up and lecture for most subjects. However, for some things like history and technology, I feel like a teacher is not necessarily needed to lecture. I say that because with a subject like math, the little things matter and any minor error could cause a major problem; whereas in history everything is so precise and accurate. In any case, a teacher is needed but whether or not it is directly or indirectly is the question.
I liked the video. I think that it was a good idea for the simple pictures because they were not distracting, and I could concentrate on what was being said. They also were interested and different. With technology the way it is now, she could have gone in so many different directions in making this video. This time, simple said more.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)
She really knows how to work the internet. I have already learned so much since this class has started, but it amazes me how much I still do not know. As I watched this video, a question came to mind. How did she do that? I would love to learn how to setup a page like that. I think it is very neat and one day I hope to be able to navigate the internet as well as her.
 The Machine is Changing Us by Michael Wesch
What he said about the MTV generation and today’s generation is so true. Now a day, most of us are materialistic and have a short attention span. So many different things go through my mind at one time, and sometimes I cannot focus on one thing for too long because my mind jumps to another. This is a very, very long video. It also proves his point about this generation and short attention spans. I had to keep putting the video on pause just to get through it. Overall, I think it was interesting and had ways of grabbing my attention, even if only for a short period.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kiara,

    I really like your blog. It's very organized and looks great. You make a great point about how Wendy Drexler presented the information in her video. I also think that the simple style she used was very effective. I guess the purpose of this class is to make us networked students. The best part of this style of teaching is that the teacher doesn't have to be the ultimate authority on a subject in order to teach it successfully. If the class is on archaeology, the student can make contact with someone who was actually at the site where a discovery was made.

    I had the same thought about the PLN as well. That page would really make organization easy. All of your sites and files right in front of you.

    "The Machine is Changing Us" was a tough video to watch. I watched all the way through as I do with the others, but found it impossible to summarize when I finished. I ended up picking a topic that I could then summarize. Great video but very tough to get a handle on.

    Keep up the great work on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. History is "precise and accurate"? Not in the least! I think it is probably the least precise and accurate or our traditional disciplines. That is worth a discussion.

    Thank you for the compliment. Yes, EDM310 attempts to be a constructivist/connectivist class. I am glad you see that!

    How did she do her PLE? What program did she use? The clues (actually answer) can be found in EDM310. See if you can solve that puzzle!

    Even I paused the video many times and I have watched it foe several semesters. Mitch was also right when he commented that The Machine Is Changing Us was difficult. I will have a post on iot soon on the class blog.

    ReplyDelete