Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blog Post #3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
 



This video is one of the best I have watched so far. This really touched on my college experience. I feel like sitting in the classrooms while the teacher talks for most subjects do not teach me what I need to know. I also know that I will have accumulated an enormous amount of debt by the time I graduate. I believe this video illustrates the way most college students think and feel because I know many of the students who bring their computers to class are surfing the web or on facebook, not doing anything pertaining to the class.
I do not think I could at anything or change anything about this video. I feel that they did an extremely good job and that most students can relate to it. At first, I was not sure what technology had to do with the video but at the end it said, “Some suggest technology can save us”. I am not sure how technology can save us, but the video touched on valid points.  
 
 "It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines
I really like her idea about technology. As a future teacher, I believe it is not about the technology but about how the teacher incorporates it into their teaching. I am not saying technology is not important but it should not be the bases of the classroom, it should be an accessory. When I say accessory, I mean technology should be incorporated into learning, not learning incorporated into technology.
Mrs. Hines made some very valid points. I completely agree that teachers must be learners. Not everyone learns the same. This means that the teacher needs to learn or be aware of what method works for each student. That is why it is important for teachers to be learners as well. Each year, teachers should learn a new and improved way of teaching the required materials. There is so much information that can be obtained through technology, but a good teacher is need to access it and put it into good use.
Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
I am somewhat speechless. Some parts I agree with and some I do not. I do not think that everyone or every teacher should be technologically literate. I do believe that it may hinder their students some, but not extremely. It should be a personal choice whether technology is incorporated into a teacher’s classroom.
Mr. Fisch said, “If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write.” This really stood out to me. I feel like a teacher does not have to be technologically literate to be successful, but at the same time I believe technology is an asset to education today. Mr. Fisch ideas/beliefs gave me something to think about when it comes to technology and education.
This is so crazy to me because I wrote my comments as I read this blog. When I got to the end, I started thinking, maybe teachers should be technologically literate and maybe it should not be a choice because of the changing times. I really do not know where I stand anymore about technology and education.
Gary Hayes Social Media Count
This is amazing. When you look at it from this perspective, a lot of time is spent using technology. This backs up what Karl Fisch said about teachers needing to be technologically literate. I am finally seeing how important technology is. 


2 comments:

  1. Well, if you began to think differently while reading Mr. Fisch's post, just wait until you have finished EDM310. I hope by then you will have come to see that technology should be embraced and used by all teachers.

    Thoughtful. Keep thinking. That's important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on Mr. Fisch's post. Some teachers have trouble teaching with technology and when they try it confuses them and the students. So I do not think all teachers have to be technologically literate. They just have to be able to teach no matter the technique. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete