Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blog Post #4

technology & learning


Don’t Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? By: Scott McLeod
I really like this post. I think it is a great way of informing people about the good and the bad of technology. I think technology is very useful. The problem is that some people abuse and misuse it. Technology should be an accessory, and used appropriately. Who is Mr. Scott McLeod? Mr. McLeod is an Associate Professor in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at Iowa State University. He is a teacher with strong beliefs about technology. He believes that schools are changing to slow, and technology to fast. He is also the director of UCEA Center for the Advanced Studies of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE).
The iSchool Initiative
This video was about whether or not technology should be fully incorporated into school. It explained the benefits of using iSchool. Also, ways it could save the school and students money. I think that is a great idea. I knew that all those things where possible but now that I have watched that video, I really see all that technology can be in school. I thought the invention of smart boards was great but iSchool really tops it.
As I keep saying, technology is much more advanced than I thought. Every assignment that I have done has taught me a little more, but this really shocks me. If all this is possible with one device, I wonder why it is not used worldwide. iSchool would be a brilliant tool for high school and college students. I really hope that one-day iSchool can be used in schools.
The Lost Generation
This was very neat and interesting. I love how the video said one thing read from the beginning and another from the end. This puts things into perspective, because people do not really listen until the worst happens. I know it sounds crazy, but that is how I feel. This video sort of reminds me of a cigarette commercial how it is black and white. Also, how the message that is given starts by saying the opposite of what their intentions are. Overall, the point was clear.
Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir
I think this is amazing. As usual, I did not know that this was possible. They sounded good, for them not to have met before this recording. I cannot figure out how this was put together. I know now that I have to become more technologically literate than I am because I am very far behind. This proves that anything is possible with technology and it is advancing more, and more, everyday.

3 comments:

  1. This is Blog Assignment #4, not #3. Please correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology is advancing all of the time. What seems like the "whole thing" right now will be a "thing of the past" before you know it. I think the lesson is that we always need to be opened to change and growth. this is what learning is all about.

    As Dr. Strange pointed out this should be Blog Post #4. Also, remember to proof read before posting. SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiara,
    I thought that Mr. Mcleod was using sarcasm in order to reach parents about the importance of educating their children about the internet. In most cases where the internet is being misused by a child the parent could be to blame in my opinion. It is the parent's responsibility to teach their child the do's and don'ts about the internet. The Lost Generation is a really touching video and I believe it can be helpful to many people if they just paid attention.
    I also found the iSchool idea really interesting. It would be really nice to be able to see schools take advantage of the technology we have today. The virtual choir video also fits in a way that schools could use technology to the best of their advantage.

    ReplyDelete